Greetings, dear readers! I hope this blog post finds you well and happy. Today I’m sharing the next installation in our DIY patio garden efforts. In case you missed part one, this is what the patio looked like with the one row of larger planters (below).
Once we’d gotten the main, large planters in (shared in this post here) hubby figured out a way to add another row of pots for me – smaller ones that I could put herbs in. Woo hoo! Again, the constraints were that nothing could be permanently attached to the building, he had to use simple tools on the patio, and couldn’t make much noise.
One 2″ x 4″ x 8″ board
Fourteen 6″ diameter plastic pots
Galvanized bolts, washers, and nuts (1 bolt, two washers, and one nut per pot)
Two L brackets
Our patio is laid out in such a way that there was enough room to lay the new wooden board for the herbs inside the railing and have it supported on the sides by the building/patio walls. (See far right of the photo above, and the photo below) Hubby simply laid the board across and made the setup more secure by attaching L brackets to each end of the 2 x 4 – on the inside of the patio. We wanted to make sure nothing would fall down since the bunnies spend time out on the patio during the day – weather permitting.
Next, he drilled holes in the wooden board – one hole for each of the fourteen plastic pots that would fit across the board. You can measure for exact spacing if you’d like, but I believe he chose the “lay the pots out on the board and then trace around them with a pencil” method.
Next hubby drilled a hole in the bottom center of each plastic pot and attached the hardware that would help attach them to the board. He put the bolt in from the center of the pot going down out of the bottom, so the bolt would stick out of the bottom and slide into the pre-drilled holes. This allows the pots to be rearranged, which is super helpful. The hardware was layered this way: bolt, washer, plastic pot, washer, nut. Once all the hardware was attached to the pots they were inserted into the board – ready to be filled with soil and plants, and easy to rearrange.
So, now we have three larger rectangle planters, two pots on either side of those planters (barley visible in the photo below), and fourteen small pots in front. I hung my often-used tools within arms reach. My trowel and misting water bottle hang on either end of the row of herbs. I just used some metal hooks that screwed right into the wood.
I also added some decorative elements – fun! I found some galvanized disk ornaments at Michaels and added flowers and a butterfly that I cut out with my Sizzix Big Shot and steel rule dies. The die cut shapes can be changed out quickly and easily if I decide I want to change the look and feel. I may change them seasonally – will have to see.
And though I know what all I have in my little garden, and where everything is located, I made some simple garden markers from bamboo skewers and washi tape. I may opt for something hardier and more elaborate in the coming weeks and months, but this super simple version is working well for now.
My plants are in varying stages right now. Some plants were mini plants that were purchased on little flats at the nursery, and some were started from seed. Some things I’m growing do better when started earlier or later (to avoid the heat), so this is all just experimental at this point. I’m thrilled anything is alive given the heat we’ve had lately – it’s been in the high 80s or 90s since we got the garden going in early July. I’ve been watering frequently, and am pleased that the residents of the garden are hanging in there.
The cilantro plants bolted soon after we got them, and sent up flowers. Many gardeners would get rid of the plants and start new cilantro plants at this point, but since it’s my first time growing cilantro I opted to let them flower so they can go to seed. Cilantro plants produce coriander seeds, which can be used as an herb in cooking. It’s pretty cool that the one plant can be used in two different culinary ways. :]
Flowering cilantro against an overcast August sky…
These nasturtium plants were started from seed. I love nasturtium plants and flowers, and though they’re pretty they’re also edible! I’ll likely add some young leaves and flowers to our plates as the plants continue to grow and fill in. I’ll feed some to the bunnies as well. I’m happy that thus far our wee little garden is both pleasing to the eye and completely edible.
Please leave a comment if you’d like to recommend any veggies or herbs that might do well in our little patio planters. I’m probably going to replace our cilantro and parsley with lettuce plants as soon as the lettuce seedlings I’m growing are a bit bigger, and am open to a few other tweaks here and there.
I hope you have a wonderful week, dear readers. Until next time…